Monday, May 16, 2005

Tell me why

This was a well established company in the heart of Colombo headed by a well known dynamic and highly educated individual. It’s almost two years now since I had the interview. He simply asked me the usual series of questions that any interview would have. I knew the job would be mine even before I went for the interview. I was taken by surprise.

Terms and conditions were all satisfactory. He stated that I was perfect for the job, but there was a condition. He asked me if I can work without the head scarf at least within the premises of the building. I was tempted to ask “to what extent does my head scarf influence my capacity to work here?” but I did not speak because this was a man well-read speaking to me. His answer by no means would have justified his decision.

Can my capabilities be by any means be affected by the head scarf that I wear? Will I be less efficient than anyone else at the same level. Thanking him I walked out thinking why he in the brilliance of his mind simply thought so...

3 comments:

D said...

I remember a case where the boss fired a man because he was a negative influence on the otehr workers.
+
In certain Middle-Eastern countries, public practice of religions other than Islam is prohibited. They seem to think that it has a negative impact on their society.

Tasha said...

Please tell me how the head scarf cann be a negative influence?

D said...

Why should I? You are smart enough to figure that out by yourself.