Saturday, May 21, 2005

Slavery to society

Ok I have a test tomorrow and what am I doing here? I don’t know I just keep reading irrelevant information everywhere. The skype fever is dying out slowly just like everything else does once the fun is over and the tears have dried.

Hmmm… I’ve been thinking. Why is it so difficult to make a decision that makes you fall into the minority? Why is it so easy to accept what everyone agrees with rather than to stand up for your beliefs? Is it a question of being strong enough to stand against the wind?

When I ask my friends why they are into drinking or smoking a common answer would be “to socialize”. Do you think you cannot socialize if you’re not a drinker? Most people don’t want to but do it only because of social pressure so if this “most” people can actually implement their beliefs will this not be so much easier to follow?

I guess that one too will just have to join my dusty thought-shelf to be answered forever. Being among the minority is difficult. I totally agree with Maslow’s social need theory. You cannot survive alone no matter how strong you are but there sure is more than a few ways of achieving this human need, indeed if we but pause to look around. With that let me leave you to think about yourself and how strong you are in standing up against the rest of the world for what you believe in.

4 comments:

Sven said...

If you check my profile, you'll see I'v had resaon to make a minority stance all my grown up life.

My mother pinned a quote to my wall when I was a kid, I think that has helped. It was Goethe, and free translation from swedish would give 'If you are alone, be so, you will have much company with time'. Basiclly you have to think for yourself and stand by your belives, no matter what. Question then is, how do you handle loneliness?

Tasha said...

Have you tried looking out for other who are lonely?

Sven said...

Aye and I can hamdle loneliness when it comes along.

I think the fear of being left alone is playing a big part in why so many people don't stand up to the world, but play along.

Tasha said...

hey, how come you dont have a blog?