Friday, May 13, 2005

Such parasites will always live thru time

Last Sunday at a group meeting with my fellow colleages at class a very interesting, but usual thing happen. One of the guys openly declared that he will strictly NOT indulge in any team work. He said he was far too busy at work and when he gets home after eight he makes time for his wife and kids and that he cannot do any work for the assignment. He said “You share the work and I share only your marks”.

Such parasites were a common creation among students in the undergraduate level. But here too? With my eyes open wide I thought to myself its all coming all over again.

Look, if people need only the qualification, for god’s sake why not just let them have it? Some people just try to survive by drowning others. Often students come to you and complain about fellow team-mates who are bad team players. - “I cannot work with him/her”; “Please change our groups”; “If I’m stuck with them I will not work”-. These are a few of the phrases that stimulate our holy advice of how it is not an ideal world and out there in the industry you do not get to choose your buddies. Dealing with teams is part of the learning process. Some people will work and some people will not and there is no perfect education or any other system that can prevent this. Life is unfair, true enough. One thing is for sure – at the end of the day people who work more will certainly benefit.

A difficult but effective thing to do is to look at the positives of every sad situation that hits our lives. I recently came across Gunith’s blog which talks a lot of negatives of a situation. It is human nature to critically analyse all situations. Negatives appear first and that is unavoidable but at all times we must try hard to suppress negative feelings and highlight the positives.

As for my team - I am going to be selfish and work harder than everyone else. For me - knowledge is definitely more valuable than grades. I know this sounds nerdy but his guy who doesn’t want to work is actually unconsciously creating an opportunity for me to learn more and I, am not going to miss it!

Happy working, people!

No comments: