Sunday, May 22, 2005

A page off my journal

I’m once again glad that the heavy weekend is over and done with and I’m so glad that the Lord has blessed our nation with a few holidays every now and then. It helps me organize myself and get back on my toes. The pleasing sound of the rain outside the window and the books around me kept closed give me a moment for myself.
We are now hitting the sixth month after tsunami happen. We are also at the bridge of crossing ½ the year. Where are we?
There is absolutely nothing to look back on and worse - nothing to look forward to. Where are all those selfless souls that were running around wild after the oceans played their wildest? Some of the funds have been appropriately used and the rest? We simply don’t know…
Are we pretending that things are fine and back to normal now or are we continuing to think that it is up to the government to make hay and to create back the nation for us? Are the fishermen confident to go back into the sea and are the farmers strong enough to harvest again?
Whatever the choices are, the are not limited.

I feel guilty. I also feel helpless alone. I feel scared. I also feel left out. I feel there is no other reason but myself. Why is it that we are here with no hope and no where to go to? As I read arguments on the papers and watch unproductive debates and terrorizing news on TV, I choose to idle around rather than to be haunted by the torturing words and images. There is no action any where else except in the mind!

1 comment:

Sven said...

Last week I had reason to go down from Colombo along the coast line, to Tangalle. I was really sad to see how little has been done to restore the damages, knowing that both funds and equipment is available. It was a beautiful and horrible ride all in one. Talked today to a government offical (more or less responsible for the Swedish tsunami aid), here in Stockholm, and he was also very troubled about the work having turned into confronting politics and very little happens.

My friends in Sri Lanka also told me of the fear for the sea, of their fear for it. It grievs me.

I heard of protests against the political game, along the south coast about a month or so ago. Has it gone?

For me, with my background, it's difficult to comprehend that there are no initiatives to build organisations around the, apparently, growing dissatisfaction with how your politicians handle the situation. Why is that?