Friday, November 05, 2004

Miscommunicated conclusions!

Ok, so I managed to get someone - I wasn’t referring to -, actually worked up a little. If you’re wondering what that was all about, it was about joining the academic sector. Didn’t wana blog in sometime but didn’t really think that my blogs were being read. Anyway there’s not much of point in reading each others blogs unless you actually learn something new. However it is interesting to find out what’s going on inside people. Perception and first impressions are so wrong sometimes. So coming back to the point of joining the academic sector… hmm yeah I did think about all the possible outcome. About academically inclined people being stagnant and theoretical. But on the other hand where would people be if there were no acs? I know that, that’s a pretty soppy thought. People don’t necessarily end up here coz they don’t have jobs else where. The talent of imparting knowledge to others is rare and greatly wanted. There are many who are good at learning things but just a few who are actually good at teaching it. Anyway I believe that the best person to judge a lecturer is the student itself. As for me.. I enjoy it – a passion by all means and that’s one of the reasons I’m here. I used to do it ever since about the sixth grade. My final year project was also based on an academic institution. The "almost" regret was for some other reasons - discouragement from people and the like. But who cares about people anyway? That’s supposed to be me. "Advice is appreciated but not necesserily taken into account. "Only, it’s hard to sometimes implement. Should go back and read my blog about people! For now I have some marking to do and the vivas really manage to get me down… ta ta!

4 comments:

halwis said...

I will put this down in point form for clarity, brevity and simplicity.
1. Me thinks that 'Blogs' are the latest addition to the "wave" (I call it a TSUNAMI) first created by what they shamelessly call "reality TV" - which is quite a great deal about peeping into other people's lives.
2. Whatever you heard about academically inclined people being stagnant and theoretical is true. No offence, but may I add "Stubborn" & "Un-empathetic"? :-D
3. The talent of imparting knowledge to others is rare and greatly NEEDED - This is why I say that those who hold PhD's should be banned from the premises of schools and universities!

So... where are you teaching?

Tasha said...

Your not gonna believe what you read!

Mahisha said...

Good teachers are hard to find. Lecturing is one of the few jobs where the pleasures of doing a proper job is both immediate (when you see the sparkle) and long lasting (when someone just comes up and speaks to saying you thought him/her):Basically, you know for a fact when you do a good job.

As for being stagnant (re comment); it is up to the lecturer-if the lecturer reads and does research, he/she will be up to date. Re the first comment, it would be nice if there were PhD’s both in the academic sector and the private sector in SL:: private sector will pay them well (but may have lower job satisfaction) aca will give higher satisfaction-the Lecturer will be happy and will do a better job in both places…. One practical problem: time :’(

Tasha said...

Thanks for that motivation and yes I do agree with you on the stagnant part. Also... I love what I am doing. The results are not obvious though and you have to ask my students about that one!