Monday, December 27, 2004

Tsunamis

These are things that you read about and watch in movies only. These are things that are not supposed to happen in real life… no, never to neighbours and friends. So what was all that fuss about?

My cousins were down in Colombo on Saturday. We were planning on a girls night out which was unfortunately ruined by the one who claimed to be tired and sleepy after having missed two night’s sleep in noisy airports. As she was the oldest (mother of three) and the baby sitter - in spite of looking the youngest of us all – we had no choice but to give in. but we promised ourselves a treat the next day.

Well, only the next day wasn’t anything like we expected it to be. Two of the cousins had sprung out of bed early enough to get to Odel on time. About me – I was at home attending to a few neglected chores. My dad said we’ll do a one day’s trip down south. So finally something was coming out of my vacation besides boring shopping, and eating out.

And then the phone rings and I hear the chirpy voices of the folks at home. Only it wasn’t very good news at the other end. The phone line seemed to be busy for what seemed like ages. I was finally able to get my hands on it, to call a friend from school. I was trying to get through to her to get her to join our little trip. She didn’t believe a word of what I had to say. “April’s over” that’s all she said. Angry and unable to justify what I had said (news hadn’t reached the TV as yet) I hung up half hoping that a few sea waves would make it to her place at Wellawaththa. They (the waves) were just a little far away when I was thinking that. When I called again… the phone’s only rang.

At home… the relatives near the wild oceans were moving in and we were making arrangements for lunch and the night’s stay. My dad left to pick them up. He met with an accident was turned back by the heavy traffic, blocking the roads. So my grandma, aunt and kids were somewhere out there finding their way to a safer location. We just had to sit and wait and pray. The scenes were on TV by then and they were traumatizing. They arrived. I was shouting at the top of my voice for people not to panic. We were trying to get through to relatives in Galle. Sometimes the phones rang… Most time there were no connections. My uncle was in Trincomalee, they were rushing back. My mum kept talking about how we were planning on a vacation together and we couldn’t join simply because dada had no leave.

Me - being the one that is crazy about water and the sea – was disappointed by its unruly behaviour. Another “why” that we cannot answer!

Something’s going on inside the earth and people predict this will re-occur. Thousands of children and women didn’t have the strength to survive it. We are now trying to help the ones who were fortunate enough to escape, to get back on their feet while taking precautions. This day we shall remember for a long time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think in these hours thoughts and hearts of mostly all people all over the world are with you people in Asia! The destruction is unbelievable and horrifying. Words can not express the deep compassion we have on you.

Anonymous said...

I think in these hours thoughts and hearts of mostly all people all over the world are with you people in Asia! The destruction is unbelievable and horrifying. Words can not express the deep compassion we have on you.
Greetings from Germany/Europe

Tasha said...

Thank You, We got aid from your country... Thank you for the brotherhood you have shown!

s2 said...

Well I only hope the Tsunam thing won't happen again........... I don't think Sri Lanka will be able to do get back up if something like this happens agian!!!!!!

pax said...

Pls adjust the size of ur font.. Have difficulty reading...

Aravinda Arthanayake said...

hmm...true. pax is half blind..there must be scraches in his glasses.;)