Thursday, August 18, 2005

Super mum

It was may be a little over five years ago when I came home from school just like any other day. I never actually cried that night. It still remains as one of the most sorrowful nights of my life.

That night - I could not imagine what my morning would be like. I had never spent a night at home without grownups. I didn’t know if she was going to make it. My heart skipped a beat at the words on the phone call. I could barely follow the instruction given - I had to pack her some stuff, she was being admitted. She was bad –very bad. I lost the rest.

While doing what I was asked to, I was trying to imagine what it would be like without her. She was too young. It was a vision that had never crossed my mind before and I was plagued by it.

When I was sick or in a bad mood I would simply curl up in bed with a long face or pretend to be doing something. But she – no matter how healthy or ill she was she would wake up much before dawn, cook, make breakfast, clean up, send us to school and go to work. There were no servants. She did it all by herself. She never complained. I wasn’t much help either. I even fussed sometimes. She would come up with elaborate spreads of her delicious cooking for visitors from all over the world. What I loved best off her deserts was the creamy chocolate fudge. Often we had overnight visitors and when they ask us if he have enough room, mama would just say “as long as there’s room in our hearts there’ll always be room in our home”. Again – it was all her alone.

I never actually got around telling her how much I love her. As we grew up the habit of giving her a goodbye hug before leaving home, slowly died out just like the bedtime stories and nursery rhymes.

When mama came back home from the hospital I just knew one thing in my heart – she was truly irreplaceable and I would never in my life be able to do all that she did as good as she did it. I never realised how much I had until God knocked on my door.

Today is her birthday. Over weeks, I’ve been thinking of stuff to get her and stuff that I could do with her together. May be we’ll cook something or bake a cake. May be I should tell her how great I think she is. May be we’ll play scrabble or go for a walk. Whatever I do for her, for sure will not be enough to show her my love and gratitude. My mind has no capacity to think of what she’s worth of. I hope the Lord will take care of her just like she took care of us.

Acres of love and mountains of joy

Yeah that’s what she gave me

That’s all that I have

Wonderful advice

Some good spanking once in a while

Sweet childhood memories

And much more to come

To carry to my grave

Thank you so much mama

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a really nice post :)

Tasha said...

Thankee! :)