Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Lanka will always be my home!

Half my heart is back home

I miss the sunshine on my face

I miss the walks down the sea shore

I miss the friends at work

I miss the relatives and calls and all the fuss

Living here in to lap of luxury

Too cold to go outside

Snow everywhere

Beautiful to see

But miserable to be in

No friends… no family…

No sunshine… no sea

You hardly see a pedestrian

A building or a mountain

My dear country… War bound

I had to leave

To pursue, a future.. better for my family

Lanka - without you

I miss sun drying my clothes

I miss the rush hour hour

I miss the string hoppers and kiri hodhi

I miss the hoppers and pol sambol

I miss everything back home

And I don’t know when I will see her again

I miss my comfy bed

And my little home!

I hope Jannah will be lucky enough to enjoy her childhood as much as we did. We had neighbour kids to run around and play with. We didn’t electronic robot dolls and remote controlled cars to amuse us. Yet we had so much and more! We had outdoor sports and loads of fun… we had time to sit under the jam tree and play sellam gedara. We had time for cricket and kom pittu. We made kites and flew them We rode bikes and bruised ourselves. When parents used the cane we did not have authorities to complain! We felt the sand and grass under our feet and the rain and wind on our faces…

Jannah I want you to not to miss one bit of it!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) it is only a matter of time until you make some good, close friends. Then, little by little your heart will adjust to your new home. They will not wholly replace those in LK, but will quietly take route in your heart, and be there.

Jannah lives in a new world - would not have made much of a difference either in LK or anywhere else: we cannot compare our childhood with what they will have now. They have a lot more to grasp on to. A whole new world. I know you will guide Jannah well along the way (as long as needed)... everything will be good :)

Anonymous said...

"Home" - by definition is a place we can never leave. Your 'Home' and Jannah's 'home' may not be the same place and you both will have to pay a little price for that... perhaps it doesn't matter whether the price we pay as migrants is worth what we get for it in return - because the fact is that we have stepped out of our 'homes' into a bigger world. perhaps it's not so much the tropical skies that we miss - as much as the smiling faces and loving hearts that live beneath it.. but among the strange faces we meet on a daily basis - are a few who may return a sincere smile; one that will even for a moment, bring back the warmth of home into our hearts.

Anonymous said...

hey...

have u forget that Sri lanka is not like those days,

every day begin with,

Bomb blast,

polluted environment,

corrupted politicians,

bribes,

rapes,

race problems,

no human rights,

no fair judgments,

no proper economic policy,

Law is changing in favor of the politicians,

legitimate power is doing everything,

family dominate the country,

qualified people waiting for the job mean time unqualified people getting them,

shoot the person if not agree to government policy whether right or wrong,

and more.............

what u r saying is a beautiful Sri Lanka when i was born in 1986 after that i never seen like my mother country as it is....



now its like somalia,,,,

every people crying for the food and other basic needs,


by contrast,


on the other hand,
rich people getting more richer...
i don't need to explain this for a true sri lankan.

pray for peace with no favouration...

May allah make us more comfortable in our lanka.

Tasha said...

yes I know. But underneath it all, it still is my country and I will always love it. 60th independence on the way. and Harendra even if all my friends and relatives moved in here with us I will still miss home. If you remember me from APIIT I wasn't all that a people's person... I don't really understand why but I miss it... Here's a nice one I picked from a student's blog

"Missing someone gets easier every day because even though it's one day further from the last time you saw each other, it's one day closer to the next time you will."

I must admit things are becoming easier now as i get more and more familiar with the strange new place!